The "Städtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus und Kunstbau München" is particularly famous for its important collection of art by the "Blaue Reiter" and houses outstanding works by Wassily Kandinsky, Gabriele Münter, Franz Marc, August Macke, and others. In addition, the gallery focuses on New Objectivity and current contemporary art.
The gallery was founded in 1929 in the former villa of the Munich painter Franz von Lenbach. It was mainly thanks to Gabriele Münter's donation of numerous works by the "Blaue Reiter" in 1957 that the Lenbachhaus rose to become an international centre of classical modernism. Without losing sight of tradition, the Lenbachhaus reoriented itself thematically from the 1970s onwards and increasingly showed international contemporary art in its exhibitions. In 1994, the increased demand for space was initially satisfied with the Kunstbau, an exhibition hall located underground. From 2009 onwards, the Lenbach Villa was renovated, modernised, and redesigned and reopened to the public in 2013.
All of the originals of these works are on display at the Städtische Galerie in the Lenbachhaus.